[geomoose-psc] RFC-4 Needs updating

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 11:20:14 PST 2018

On 01/29/2018 12:39 PM, Eli Adam wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 2018, at 1:14 PM, Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> RFC-4 states commiters will be tracked in:
>>
>> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/blob/master/AUTHORS.rst
>>
>> This is good for GeoMoose 2.x, but not for GeoMoose 3 as GeoMoose 3 is
>> in a new repo and GeoMoose 3 switched to calling this file 'AUTHORS' (no
>> extension) to match current GitHub and npm conventions.
>>
>> I don't think we can amend RFCs, so we probably need a new RFC that
>> replaces the old one.  (I am basing this on the MapServer project
>> created RFC-7.2 to supplant RFC-7 when they moved to git).
> RFC-4 was to move to git.  I think that we might have been over
> specific in  listing the file and repo.  We're only changing the repo
> and file used to list the authors which will again change in the
> future.  If we pass another RFC, it would have to be to something
> general ("authors will be listed in some obvious manner").  I'm not
> sure a minor tweak necessitates a RFC.   I'd be fine just voting that
> instead of storing author information in
> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/blob/master/AUTHORS.rst that for
> GM3, we're storing it in
> https://github.com/geomoose/gm3/blob/master/AUTHORS
>
> This can also be a small lesson in being too specific and not general
> enough in our RFCs.
>
> Eli

I just noticed we have a semantic difference between AUTHORS (gm3) and
AUTHORS.rst (RFC-4, geomoose 2).

RFC-4 discusses specifically push access to GeoMoose repos and mentions
geomoose/geomoose/AUTHORS.rst.

In GM3 AUTHORS is tracking from whom we have accepted Pull Requests. The
rule for GM3 is all changes are made via PR and an author must add
themselves to the AUTHORS file (thus agreeing they can legally make
contributions and they license it appropriately, ...) on their first
PR.  Then someone with push access (as dictated by RFC-4) may
accept/merge/push the PR.

Thus, I no longer think GM3's AUTHORS file is violating RFC-4.  We do
have some discrepancies between AUTHORS.rst and actual GitHub
permissions, but that is a simpler matter.