[geomoose-psc] RFC-4 Needs updating

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Jan 29 10:39:31 PST 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)
<bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> wrote:
> So, RFC 4.1 ??
>
> bobb
>

> On Jan 28, 2018, at 1:14 PM, Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> RFC-4 states commiters will be tracked in:
>
> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/blob/master/AUTHORS.rst
>
> This is good for GeoMoose 2.x, but not for GeoMoose 3 as GeoMoose 3 is
> in a new repo and GeoMoose 3 switched to calling this file 'AUTHORS' (no
> extension) to match current GitHub and npm conventions.
>
> I don't think we can amend RFCs, so we probably need a new RFC that
> replaces the old one.  (I am basing this on the MapServer project
> created RFC-7.2 to supplant RFC-7 when they moved to git).

RFC-4 was to move to git.  I think that we might have been over
specific in  listing the file and repo.  We're only changing the repo
and file used to list the authors which will again change in the
future.  If we pass another RFC, it would have to be to something
general ("authors will be listed in some obvious manner").  I'm not
sure a minor tweak necessitates a RFC.   I'd be fine just voting that
instead of storing author information in
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/blob/master/AUTHORS.rst that for
GM3, we're storing it in
https://github.com/geomoose/gm3/blob/master/AUTHORS

This can also be a small lesson in being too specific and not general
enough in our RFCs.

Eli