[Geomoose-users] [GeoMOOSE users] reference map

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 08:18:51 EST 2008

1. Is there a way to display a layer in the reference map, but not the map display area?
In the 1.1/1.2 code, yes.  Set the "reference" attribute equal to "only", this was a bug I didn't like in the 1.0 code so it's been fixed.

2. Any way to separately set the min and max display scales for a reference layer? In an app I'm working on, I've set minor roads to only display below some max [mapserver] scale. The problem is I'd like the minor roads to show up in the reference map without having to zoom in sor far. For example, if maxscale is 1:40,000, and my reference map multiplier is 8, I have to zoom-in in the map display to 1:5,000 before the minor roads show up in the reference map. But I'd prefer they displayed in the reference map when zoom-in to say, 1:25,000.

I see two potential solutions:
a) Create two mapfiles and let mapserver handle it. This can get a little obnoxious as you might need to duplicate a lot of code between the two mapfiles.
b) Create two "map" entries in the mapbook.  One for the main-map and one for the reference-map only.

3. I'd like to have a reference map with different functionality. Any way to do the following? In the reference map, display a fixed image. As I zoom in/out in the map display, vary the size of the "inner" box in the reference map, rather than also zooming inside the reference map.

This is something I know Randy was asking for a few months ago.  I was hoping to get it into the 1.2 release, but we've been focusing on getting a few bugs worked out of the system and getting the Mailing Labels PHP script up and running with the buffer select.  So the short answer is "no" and the long answer is, "we can try for the 1.4/1.5 release."