[Geomoose-users] raster specs/speed of GeoMOOSE demo

Zachary Stauber zstauber at bhinc.com
Wed May 7 16:54:46 EDT 2008

I noticed, probably everyone noticed, that the GeoMOOSE map example on
their home page is SUPER fast, as fast as GoogleMaps or GoogleEarth,
even with images turned on.  It's faster than the USGS Earth explorer
and all their interfaces.

Does anyone know how the imagery on the GeoMOOSE site is optimized for
the fastest delivery?  What format, tiling sizes, overviews (pyramids)
does it have?  Is there an optimum size of image size itself?  Is there
some special caching commands in MapServer it needs to go the fastest?

My own MapServer/WMS layers don't come up that fast even when serving
from my localhost to my local browser, and I have a dual processor Xeon,
so I really would like to get the secrets.

            -Zack