[Geomoose-users] SHP converted into PostGIS or MySQL

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 10:15:35 EDT 2008

Actually, I've been using GeoMOOSE with PostGIS and the City of Saint Paul is using it with a few Oracle databases.  GeoMOOSE doesn't really care about the data source, it's going to be more mapserver.  So I'd suggest hitting put the mapserver website for tips, hints, and limitations for connecting to the various datasets.

If you are using the python based printing service there may be some "hiccups" but 1.4 (which I keep promising and keep over thinking and fixing things) should be coming by this weekend (G-d willing) with the new PHP-based print service which should be more widely compatible.

Now, the performance increase, will you see one? I doubt it, unless your dataset is very, very, very large, and even then the benefit is arguable.  Mapserver is very good about using shapefiles and can use them very well.  There are options to improve the speed of shapefiles too.  I believe the process for creating indexes and tiling is located some where on the mapserver website and/or I think others here (Bob?) can chime in on the exact process.