[Geomoose-users] Image display covers up layers beyond its extent

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 15:07:01 EST 2008

Images being served as a JPEG are not "see through" so if you have an ECW that covers the City, mapserver will fill the rest of the image with a color (typically white).  Transparency comes into play, because if you serve the image as a PNG or GIF then the "white" becomes "see through" (aka "transparent").

This isn't a limitation of Mapserver or GeoMOOSE, it's a limitation of the JPEG format.