[Geomoose-users] Any plans to make View Extents a service?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Feb 24 16:10:36 EST 2009

Brian,

  I'm trying to avoid the separate config files as there are about 100 users with 10 to 100 different areas each.  There's a database on the server with lots of other user-specific map and attribute info I'll be querying so I thought why not build an Extent service...

  I'll have a look in the 1.2 version.

Fischer, Brian wrote:
> The funny thing is we had this as a part of the xml mapbook, but we
> moved in into the config.js file in version 1.4 for performance reasons.
> When it was in the .xml file it caused the application to load slow when
> you have a big list of zoom to items.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think there would be a way to configure GM 1.6 to
> do this without hacking a bunch of code.  The only way I can think of is
> to store a separate config.js file for each of your users.
>
> I will throw out that in GM 2.0 we are planning on moving that back into
> the .xml file and Dan's vision is to only have one configuration file
> that is the XML map book.

That's got my vote (as long as there's not sacrifice in performance).

Thanks!