[Geomoose-users] Internet/Proxy?

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 10:46:50 EDT 2009

Answering this is a little difficult because the questions are very much "broad stroke" questions and security tends to be more "detail stokes."

1) What are you trying to secure? From whom?  If you're trying to secure the shapefiles from being downloaded then you are fine.  None of the GeoMOOSE tools expose the raw-data to users of the services at large.

2) If you're looking for a hosting solution I'd recommend looking into one of the following:
  a) Host it on a pre-existing server. GeoMOOSE fits nicely inside of an existing IIS or Apache setup.  None of the files are all that large  and with virtual domain hosting it's pretty easy to create "geomoose.mycity.mn.us" or something that gets your online mapping a nice niche on the web.
  b) Pay someone else to do it.  My personal recommendation would be to use BrianF at Houston Eng.  Not only local but Brian has been ACTIVELY contributing back to the project through his MS4W packages *AND* contributes back to the project to get enhancements made.  It also helps that he already has a system setup for doing hosting.

3) Get your IT staff to give you an old server.  GeoMOOSE really doesn't need ALOT to get up and running.  Having a server running MS4W is a pretty light load all things considered and serving up a number of sizable shapefiles never really gets more than about 10-20G.  So a server with something as small as a 60G hard disk with a couple of gigs of RAM is more than sufficient.

Proxies are necessary unless you're trying to do something with cross-site scripting

Firewalls let you block ports on the computer.  Using option a) or b), this configuration would be done for you.  Using option c), you'd harass an IT guy to make sure that only the necessary ports were open to the internet (like oh, just 80 and 443).  If what I just said seems too daunting then maybe option "b)" is the best one. :-)