[Geomoose-users] Why GeoMoose? (and article request)

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Jul 13 17:43:12 EDT 2009

Richard,

> For example, why would someone use GeoMoose and not OpenLayers (say)?
> OpenLayers also supports lots of layers and works well with MapServer.
> The best I've come up with is that it is possible to produce a working
> map with controls that is controlled by an XML file and not Javascript.
> Layers are easily added by simply adding an entry to the XML , whilst
> OpenLayers requires Javascript to be written.
> GeoMoose also has a richer set of default controls.
> Would that be a good summary?

   I'm a long time user of Mapserver, and when I was faced with doing
a new web mapping site implementation, I dreaded having to yet again
write the client-side code to create a finished application.

   A quick scan of the current client-side toolkits lead me to GeoMoose.
While OpenLayers focuses on rendering layers regardless of the source
server, it doesn't have much to do with attribute values.  GeoMoose has
a more desktop GIS look and feel.

   But the deciding factor for me was the way the demo apps were presented!
OpenLayers has a ton of small demo apps all showing different s/w features,
while GeoMoose has just two downloadable demos each containing all the
s/w features.  My perception was that it would be quicker to modify the
source data for one demo than try to glue together OpenLayers JavaScript.

   Hopefully I'll get the best of both worlds since the new GeoMoose 2.0
uses OpenLayers for its layer display.

> GeoMoose appears to be most popular with local governments in Minnesota!
> I guess the Minnesota concentration is for historical reasons.
> Would I be right in thinking that the popularity with local government
> popularity is due to the feature set?  ie. Local governments like to
> plot lots of local data. Many layers, each from different owners or
> departments? Each dataset needs to be made publically available but in
> the most cost effective manner?

   Actually I think the difference is between Viewers and Users (Analysts?).
If all you want to do is view the map (and pan/zoom), then OpenLayers
is a good tool.  But if you want to dig into feature attributes, and
print out a decent map, then GeoMoose is the way to go.