[Geomoose-users] Setting buffer select units

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 09:59:49 EDT 2010

The performance impact is not TERRIBLE but that also depends on hardware capability and user load.  Even serving 200+ layers, not every user is requesting every layer for every map draw.

Web Mercator is okay, but there are also other projections that look good at that particular spot in the country (I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of an Albers Equal Area Conic).  If your main calculation is based on water bodies within a certain distance then you may very seriously consider storing the data in a different projection, otherwise the calculation that does the radius based search will need to do something like this:

1) Project the center to something in meters or feet.
2) Buffer that point.
3) Project the resulting polygon in to WGS84
4) Then do the search.

This is all assuming you're looking for absolute correctness...  If Brent isn't too busy he might chime in as I know he stores everything in WGS84 and reprojects it on the fly.