[Geomoose-users] Performance issues

Jeffrey Schmitz jeffreykschmitz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 00:30:35 EDT 2010

Thanks for the responses!

We were using WMS for two reasons: we wanted to make our data easily
accessible, and we wanted to take advantage of tiling so that users
could move the map around without the need for it to refresh
continually. This week, we tried disabling the tiling, and performance
improved significantly, to be just about as quick as using them as map
server layers. Any idea why tiling would create such a drastic
decrease in performance?

Also, our mapbook is rather large (we have quite a few layers), so I
included a snippet of what a typical map source entry looks like when
we use WMS with tiling:

<map-source name="hashed_layers" type="wms" tiled="true"
queryable="false" projection="EPSG:900913">
               <url>http://maps.glifwc.org/development/glifwc_wms.php</url>
                       <layer name="mn_bathymetric_contours"/>
                       <layer name="cooperative_weed_management_areas"/>
                       <layer name="eab_quarantine_counties"/>
                       <layer name="minor_watersheds"/>
                       <layer name="major_watersheds"/>
                       <layer name="great_lakes_watersheds"/>
               <param name="format" value="image/png" />
               <param name="TRANSPARENT" value="TRUE" />
       </map-source>

Thanks again for the help!
-Jeff