[Geomoose-users] how to install geomoose?

Eli Adam EAdam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Aug 4 17:04:04 EDT 2011

Nitin,

http://www.geomoose.org/wiki/index.php/Installation#Windows_Installation_Gui

> de
> - Identical better format:
http://www.geomoose.org/docs/install_ms4w.html

Thanks for fixing up the wiki formatting.  Yes, I think that it was
copied from one place to the other.

> *It says not to use "MS4W 3.0 beta 10 and GeoMOOSE, we recommend that
you
> use MS4W 2.3.1"
> - looking in the history here, it was upgraded from "beta 10" on
4/20/10,
> and it is into "version 3.03" as of 7/12/11":
> http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=HISTORY.txt

MS4W 3.0.3 uses MapServer 6.x which GeoMoose is not quite ready for.  I
think that Jim is currently updating that.  I would recommend MS4W
2.3.1.  You can find it at, http://dl.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/

> *I download the following files:
> - MS4W: http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/
> - GeoMOOSE 2.4 for MS4W - Web Mercator Demo:
> http://geomoose.org/info/download.html
>
> *The files are different from what it explains in the instructions. I
ended
> up merging the folders that were in the geomoose folder with what was
in the
> MS4W folder, and when I typed in [http://localhost/] nothing showed
up.

Both of these zip files are designed to be extracted at the root of C:
(MS4W should be done first)  That will put a geomoose folder into
C:\ms4w\apps\  It will also probably put a httpd_geomoose_m24w.conf in
C:\ms4w\httpd.d\ which sets up an Apache alias like this:

Alias /geomoose/ "/ms4w/apps/geomoose/htdocs/"

GeoMoose will be found at http://localhost/geomoose/ (or whatever your
.conf file sets up).  However, according to the README_INSTALL.txt at
C:\ms4w\, you should have gotten the main ms4w page at localhost.  Try
making sure that you have gone through all the proper steps to install
ms4w.  The read me covers a lot of things, like have the MS
redistributables if needed, etc.  Specific errors and details can be
helpful for remote troubleshooting.  So does going to localhost give an
error?  Is there anything in the apache logs?  In general, MS4W is set
up to extract .zip files at the root of the drive and have everything
working.  Searching the ms4w mailing list
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/ms4w-users-f4995553.html may
help with particular errors or operating system details.

Best Regards, Eli

> What do I need to do??
>

> Nitin
>
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Bob Basques
> <Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us>wrote:
>
>>  All,
>>
>>  Ok, sorry about that I confused GM1.6 with GM2.6, for some reason
they
>> looked the same to me.  Oops.
>>
>>  I have installed GeoMoose 2.4 on a Windows 7 machine successfully
with
>> OSGEO4W (similar to MS4W, but with a lot more stuff)  MS4W is also
supported
>> by the GeoMoose community, and is the preferred install method for
Windows,
>>  while I had to configure things manually for the OSGEO4W version of
things.
>>  I would stay away from OSGEO4W to begin with and stick with MS4W in
the
>> near term.
>>
>>  bobb

>> ... looks like i didn't reply-all before either...
>>
>> Earlier I asked Bob Basques whether I need a Windows Server edition
>> installed, or I can just use what I have (windows 7 ultimate).
>> I suppose that Bob was implying that I can just install it with what
>> have.
>>
>> thanks
>> nitin
>>
>>   On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Nitin Gadia <nittyjee at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>>  oops, i didn't reply-all
>>>
>>> Those instructions look easy enough.
>>>
>>> I'll try to do it today...
>>>

>>> in the meantime, what will I have if I am just going to install
the
>>> “GeoMOOSE 2.2 for MS4W”?
>>> Will I be able to see any basemaps?
>>> I suppose if I
want ot see any basemaps I might just install the
“GeoMOOSE
>>> 2.2 for MS4W - Web Mercator Demo”?? Are there any downsides to
just
>>> installing the demo? Isn't web mercator a standard anyway?
>>>
>>> thanks a lot
>>>
>>> nitin

It

http://www.geomoose.info/moose1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Ite