[Geomoose-users] incubation meeting in a week

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:35:21 EST 2012

Hi Brent - yes you are on the right track :-)

It may be best to do it as a team effort - depending on the size of your code base (how big is your code base?)

The plan here is to check what you distribute (software, docs, data, etc..) and ensure we are doing it correctly. It is not the case that we have to fix everything; we only want to list (even in your issue tracker) any work that needs to be done.

One of the things an organisation will do prior to using GeoMOOSE is a legal review.

The foundation does not have a bucket of cash to hire a team to do a legal review for all the projects. So we are trying for the next best thing; produce a list of known problems as a good starting place for a legal review.

A couple of ideas:
- Go through all your source code files (by hand) and check that their headers are correct (this is often why it is a team effort). For GeoTools we had some files without header information which I had to check version control history on to see who created them.
-- What you are checking for depends on the project? I don't know if you ask developers to assign the code to an organisation? Or is each file considered separately?
- Check how you distribute your documentation? Creative Commons?
- Check any same data included with your application or documentation. If you don't know where it came from I recommend the natural earth dataset :-)

--
Jody Garnett