[Geomoose-users] OSGeo Incubation progress

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:06:37 EDT 2012

Comments inline.

On May 2, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Eli Adam wrote:

> All,
>
> Things are going well as GeoMoose moves through OSGeo Incubation.
>
> Please give, http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html
> an honest evaluation and see what you think needs to get done.  Can we
> complete that before May 21?  If so, graduation then is possible.  Our
> next PSC meeting is May 31st, so maybe not.  My comments are below.
>>   Project documentation is available under an open license.
>>   Eg. Creative Commons
>
> I don't think that we explicitly license our documentation.  This is
> personally what I prefer (or to use our code license for docs too),
> but I am out of sync with the world on this, so if someone has an
> idea, suggest it.

I think we may have multiple types of docs to confuse things more.  The wiki and the "official" docs/website in SVN.  Also, the naturaldocs are directly derivative of the code and probably shouldn't be CC.  Personally, I don't understand why document licenses are different than code licenses.  "Who/what" interprets the artifact seems like something too ill defined to split licenses over.  (What about a search engine that reads the docs or a person that reads/learns from the code?)  In any case, our docs are "open".  I think OSGeo's main concern is preventing things like (past versions of) numpy that had free code, but no docs, unless you paid.

>>   All code contributors have agreed to abide by the project's license policy, and this agreement has been documented and archived.
>
> We should do this.  We do have old contributors.
>
>>       The project uses public communication channels for decision making to maintain transparency.
>>       E.g. archived email list(s), archived IRC channel(s), public issue tracker.
>
> We could be slightly better on communication, I think that we are improving.

Is the #geomoose IRC room archived somewhere?

>>   The project follows a documented testing process.
>>   Ideally, this includes both automated and manual testing
>
> More than Incubation, this could really help us.  I have some mediocre
> ideas on this (like bash/curl/diff/etc to make autotests), if others
> have good ideas, I'd be interested in pursuing that.

The "hard" part is what I'd really like to automatically test is the JavaScript part across multiple browsers.  Is there such a thing as a build-bot for a browser based app?

>>   A project provide a Project Officer as a contract point:
>>       The Project Officer should be listed at Officers and Board of Directors and Contacts
>>       This person is established when the incubation committee recommends the project for graduation
>
> Need to do this, but easy.  Could be Brian since he is current chair.

Agree.

> The below are optional (technically optional, but practically mandatory)
>
>>   Marketing artefacts have been created about the project in line with the incubation criteria listed in the OSGeo >Marketing Committee's Marketing Artefacts.
>>   This lists the documentation requirements for OSGeo-Live. Marketing Artefacts include:
>>       Application Overview
>>       Application Quick Start
>>       Logo
>>       Graphical Image
>
> I think that Bob and Jim have done all/most of this.  We are probably
> due an update.

We need to get 2.6 out first before we update the Overview and Quick Start.  I also want to make sure we get 2.6 on the LiveDVD 6.0. The deadline for LiveDVD is July 10th, with some additional lead time to get the packaging setup.  A GeoMoose 2.6 package in Debian/Ubuntu GIS PPA would be ideal and would also handle our dependancies more cleanly.

>>   The following should be set up:
>>       A http://projectname.osgeo.org domain name
>>       http://downloads.osgeo.org
>
> Due to the long duration of our ticket, I'm compelled to complete this
> after approval.  Probably all with redirects for now anyway.
>
> What do others think?  If these are things we need/want to do, when do
> we think that we can address them?  Should we postpone pursuing these
> until after the 2.6 release?
>
> I think that Bob is also working with Jody to go through the
> installation of GeoMoose, which will get him more familiar with what
> exactly GeoMoose is and the actual details of using it.

MapServer lives on its own domain (with OSGEO redirects).  Also, remember that like MapServer, our project is older than OSGeo.