[Geomoose-users] OSGeo Incubation progress

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed May 2 11:59:51 EDT 2012

All,

Things are going well as GeoMoose moves through OSGeo Incubation.

Please give, http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html
an honest evaluation and see what you think needs to get done.  Can we
complete that before May 21?  If so, graduation then is possible.  Our
next PSC meeting is May 31st, so maybe not.  My comments are below.
>    Project documentation is available under an open license.
>    Eg. Creative Commons

I don't think that we explicitly license our documentation.  This is
personally what I prefer (or to use our code license for docs too),
but I am out of sync with the world on this, so if someone has an
idea, suggest it.

>    All code contributors have agreed to abide by the project's license policy, and this agreement has been documented and archived.

We should do this.  We do have old contributors.

>        The project uses public communication channels for decision making to maintain transparency.
>        E.g. archived email list(s), archived IRC channel(s), public issue tracker.

We could be slightly better on communication, I think that we are improving.

>    The project follows a documented testing process.
>    Ideally, this includes both automated and manual testing

More than Incubation, this could really help us.  I have some mediocre
ideas on this (like bash/curl/diff/etc to make autotests), if others
have good ideas, I'd be interested in pursuing that.

>    A project provide a Project Officer as a contract point:
>        The Project Officer should be listed at Officers and Board of Directors and Contacts
>        This person is established when the incubation committee recommends the project for graduation

Need to do this, but easy.  Could be Brian since he is current chair.

The below are optional (technically optional, but practically mandatory)

>    Marketing artefacts have been created about the project in line with the incubation criteria listed in the OSGeo >Marketing Committee's Marketing Artefacts.
>    This lists the documentation requirements for OSGeo-Live. Marketing Artefacts include:
>        Application Overview
>        Application Quick Start
>        Logo
>        Graphical Image

I think that Bob and Jim have done all/most of this.  We are probably
due an update.

>    The following should be set up:
>        A http://projectname.osgeo.org domain name
>        http://downloads.osgeo.org

Due to the long duration of our ticket, I'm compelled to complete this
after approval.  Probably all with redirects for now anyway.

What do others think?  If these are things we need/want to do, when do
we think that we can address them?  Should we postpone pursuing these
until after the 2.6 release?

I think that Bob is also working with Jody to go through the
installation of GeoMoose, which will get him more familiar with what
exactly GeoMoose is and the actual details of using it.

Bests, Eli