[Geomoose-users] Dealing with scales

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:08:33 PDT 2013

Not really since the browsers don't accurately report screen DPI, so
traditional scales in the interactive map are rather meaningless.  The main
place the scale is important is to allow printing to a known scale.
Assuming GeoMoose's DPI matches MapServer's (and I think it is at least
close), it also helps when setting min/max scale denominators in MapServer
layers/classes.

The scale reported in the interface (in the drop down in the lower right)
is a scale assuming some nominal display DPI.  (Either 72, 75 or 96 I
think, but would have to check to be sure.)

The scales parameter in the mapbook is actually a resolution.  (It is
simply passed into OpenLayers to setup the zoom levels, primarily for the
popular tiled basemaps.)