[Geomoose-users] Dealing with scales

Robert R. Raiz raizrobert at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:37:54 PDT 2013

Hello James,

Well, yes, actually for me it is important to know that the  MINSCALE /
MAXSCALE from map files will be read accordingly in GeoMoose. I need the
correspondence between them to be correct and to be able to check the
correct rendering of features.

I tested today and it seems what I have in the lower right part (GeoMoose)
is not quite ok compared to what I have in the mapfile (I am only referring
to scale here);

To sum up, seeing the big difference between the scales in Chameleon and
GeoMoose at the same extent, I do not understand how this could work. To
give a short eg: I have a class rendered in the mapfile between MINSCALE
2000 and MAXSCALE 6000. How can see this range (class) in GeoMoose if I
cannot rely on the scale in the bottom right corner.

Hope I am not missing something here :)

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM, James Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not really since the browsers don't accurately report screen DPI, so
> traditional scales in the interactive map are rather meaningless.  The main
> place the scale is important is to allow printing to a known scale.
> Assuming GeoMoose's DPI matches MapServer's (and I think it is at least
> close), it also helps when setting min/max scale denominators in MapServer
> layers/classes.
>
> The scale reported in the interface (in the drop down in the lower right)
> is a scale assuming some nominal display DPI.  (Either 72, 75 or 96 I
> think, but would have to check to be sure.)
>
> The scales parameter in the mapbook is actually a resolution.  (It is
> simply passed into OpenLayers to setup the zoom levels, primarily for the
> popular tiled basemaps.)
> On Jun 19, 2013 9:41 AM, "Robert R. Raiz" <raizrobert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh, as usual, I find something right after I post..
>> I read that "The scales are actually ground units per pixel resolution
>> settings and not true scales. "
>>
>> Is it possible to somehow change this to render actual scales?
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Robert R. Raiz <raizrobert at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> As I said in a previous post, I am trying to replace the old Chameleon
>>> web mapping tool with GeoMoose.
>>>
>>> Something that I did not quite understand, is why the scales are
>>> different in these two mapping tools if they have the same extent;
>>>
>>> So, I have an extent in the mapfile. Chameleon is giving me a scale
>>> of 448286 and in GeoMoose I have 1:35203
>>>
>>> Can you please tell me what am I missing? I first thought that it has
>>> something to do with the ground_units param (as I need the units in feet);
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> --
>>> *Raiz Roland Robert*
>>>

>> --