[Geomoose-users] Docker?

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 11:07:55 PST 2015

As an aside, it is easy enough to make a set of debs for a PPA for
GeoMoose.  However, I haven't done so because I have yet to figure out how
to make a set of debs that are actually useful.

I see GeoMoose somewhat like Wordpress in this regard.  The Wordpress deb
is kind of nice for pulling in the dependences but fails miserably as soon
as you want to add a plugin or customization and then update the deb.
Meanwhile the built in project tools for updates work reasonably well if
installed via tarball (or git).

GeoMoose is more of an application template that users (server admins) will
want to customize and may want more than one instance customized in
different ways.  That just doesn't fit with one copy in /usr/share and a
mess of symlinks that packaging seems to enforce.

On production servers I have the same issue with mapserver too (I generally
want multiple versions to be used for different purposes, not the least of
which is to do allow a rolling upgrade of hundreds of mapfiles).