[Geomoose-users] problem projecting a WMS

TC Haddad tchaddad at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:36:54 PST 2015

Yes that is interesting - I don't know the WMS spec well enough to confirm
if leading numbers are illegal or not. Here's a vaguely relevant blurb from
the spec:

*The Name is a text string used for machine-to-machine communication while
the Title is for the benefit of humans. For example, a dataset might have
the descriptive Title* *“Maximum Atmospheric Temperature” and be requested
using the abbreviated Name “ATMAX”.*

For future archive searchers (or ArcServer admins who are curious about
avoiding this annoying default), the following page lists the configurable
layer properties that can be set in ArcServer:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Available_WMS_service_properties/015400000596000000/

Note that "Use layer names from the map document" is an option that can be
checked, and the table says:

*By default, this option is unchecked, meaning that layers in the WMS
service will be represented with zero-based integers, indicating their
position in the table of contents from the top down.*

*Selecting this checkbox will allow the layer names to be represented with
the same strings that are used in the map document's table of contents. All
the layer names in the map must be unique and cannot contain any of the
characters &, <, >, ", or '. If you need to use one of these characters,
refer to the character substitute table below.*
So, if you run an ArcServer, check this box!