[Geomoose-users] Securing an application- hidden directories

Bistrais, Bob Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov
Thu Jan 28 11:46:40 PST 2016

My saga of securing a GeoMoose website continues.  One of the issues reported in the latest security scan is that hidden directories were detected.  These normally issue a 403 Forbidden response.  The recommended practice is to issue a 404 Not Found response instead.

I found out how to do this through the Apache settings, and it's pretty easy- in the http_d.cong file, add a line like this:
RedirectMatch 404 "../(the_directory_name)"

-That works for the majority of the hidden directories, but it falls apart with the cgi-bin directory.  If I add a line in the conf file:
RedirectMatch 404 "cgi-bin"

-Then the application itself seems unable to access its own PHP files, or at least the errors occur when calling them.

This may be more a Mapserver or Apache question, but wonder if anyone here has any suggestions?