[Geomoose-users] Announcing RFC 8 GM 3 - Vector Editing

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 10:14:48 PST 2020

Overall, it looks good to me.  I have some minor questions/clarifications:

"Proxying the WFS-T server will be necessary if the GeoMoose JavaScript is delivered from an address different from the WFS-T server. This can be configured on the GeoMoose web server."

Do the normal WFS CORS tricks not work?  Although, I'd understand for clarity of the documentation that recommending using proxy it is simpler than explaining how to setup CORS correctly.

Mapbook configuration:

How does GeoMoose know "editing" or more specifically saving is supported by a layer?  Is there any use case allowing the user to edit a non-savable layer?  IIRC: The existing editing tools aren't specific to the Sketch layer, but "work" on any vector layer.  This could be useful maybe to have a layer that provides predefined, but editable polygons that could be used as input to a select service. Would it make sense to have an attribute for this (or have a "wfs-t" layer type)?  (Or is this what "draw-edit" does?)

Are we re-using "query-as" in the WMS layer for "edit-as"?  Would we ever want to separate the two concepts?  I'm saying this is a problem, just asking.

Is the intent that the WMS (with query-as/edit-as) and WFS layer in the catalog are both editable?  Are they simply provided as two separate examples of what is possible or do both need to be in the catalog for editing to work?

Compatibility:

Please keep the potential for other editable layer types in mind (I'm thinking of WFS3/OGC API Features, or maybe someone wants to implement a custom GeoJSON/REST layer type specific to their environment) so we don't box ourselves out of implementing them sometime in the future (not as part of this RFC).