[GeoNode-users] GeoNode Docker Start Containers

Julierme Pinheiro juliermeopensourcedeveloper at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:16:22 PDT 2018

Dear Francesco and Alessio,

Thank you very much for your reply. I removed geonode directory and I
cloned a new geonode.git. Now I have brand new Docker GeoNode running.

My goal is to configure settings.py and local_settings.py as follow:

1 - Set SITE_HOST and SITE_HOST_PORT

1 - Set ALLOWED_HOST and PROXY_ALLOWED_HOST

2 - Set ACCOUNT E-MAILS

In order to achieve my goal, I did the following:

1 - # I stopped all containers

$ docker stop nginx4geonode django4geonode geoserver4geonode celery4geonode
db4geonode rabbitmq4geonode

2 - # I made a copy of local_settings.py.geoserver.sample as
local_settings.py and a copy of settings.py as settings.py.copy

3 - Before running <docker-compose up -d>, I changed django.env setting
GEONODE_LB_HOST_IP=198.162.0.2 and GEONODE_LB_PORT=80

The site is responding in http://198.162.0.2. I think SITE_HOST and
SITE_HOST_PORT configuration is achieved.

4 - Changing settings.py

4.1 - Changing PROXY_ALLOWED_HOSTS

I added the IP 198.162.0.2  to PROXY_ALLOWED_HOSTS = ['localhost',
'django', 'geonode', '192.168.0.2' ], but django.env also has
PROXY_ALLOWED_HOST and changed it ALLOWED_HOSTS = ['localhost', 'django',
'geonode', '192.168.0.2' ]

I got confused here. Should I add the IP only into django.env or should I
add it to settings.py too? Or should I add it only to seetings.py?

4.2 settings.py  EMAIL CONFIG

# Define email service on GeoNode
EMAIL_ENABLE = strtobool(os.getenv('EMAIL_ENABLE', 'True'))

if EMAIL_ENABLE:
    EMAIL_BACKEND = os.getenv('DJANGO_EMAIL_BACKEND',

default='django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend')
    EMAIL_HOST = 'smtp.sipa.edu'
    EMAIL_PORT = 587
    EMAIL_HOST_USER = 'osgeo.geonode'
    EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = 'passwd
    EMAIL_USE_TLS = True
    DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = 'osgeo.geonode at sipa.edu'
else:
    EMAIL_BACKEND = os.getenv('DJANGO_EMAIL_BACKEND',

default='django.core.mail.backends.console.EmailBackend')

ACCOUNT_OPEN_SIGNUP = True
ACCOUNT_APPROVAL_REQUIRED = strtobool(
    os.getenv('ACCOUNT_APPROVAL_REQUIRED', 'True')
)
ACCOUNT_ADAPTER = 'geonode.people.adapters.LocalAccountAdapter'
ACCOUNT_CONFIRM_EMAIL_ON_GET = True
ACCOUNT_EMAIL_REQUIRED = True
ACCOUNT_EMAIL_VERIFICATION = True
ACCOUNT_EMAIL_CONFIRMATION_EMAIL = True
ACCOUNT_EMAIL_CONFIRMATION_REQUIRED = True

4.3 settings.py  SITEURL CONFIG

I got confused in here. As I mentioned in item 3, django.env is set as
GEONODE_LB_HOST_IP=198.162.0.2 and GEONODE_LB_PORT=80. Though SITEURL =
os.getenv('SITEURL', "http://localhost:8000/") in the seetings.py, do I
still have to change it to http://198.162.0.2?

5 - Changing local_settings.py

5.1 - SITEURL CONFIG

I got confused in here. SITEURL is set as SITEURL = "http://localhost/" in
local_settings, but I set GEONODE_LB_HOST_IP=198.162.0.2 and
GEONODE_LB_PORT=80 in django.env. Do I still have to change SITEURL to
SITEURL = "http://198.162.0.2/" in local_settings? Does it make sense to
have the local_settings.py? Or should I use only settings.py? There was not
local_settings.py.sample as used to be for Python virtualenv setup, but I
copied local_settings.py.geoserver.sample as local_settings.py.

5.2 ALLOWED_HOSTS

I set ALLOWED_HOSTS = [HOSTNAME, 'localhost', '198.162.0.2']. The file
django.env does no have settings to ALLOWED_HOSTS, therefore, I think I
have to keep it in local_settings. Am I right?

Could you please give me some insights for the points I got confused?

I appreciated your time in advance

Kind Regards

Julierme