[GeoNode-users] How to customize geonode core apps(adding your own logic to models.py for example)

Dave Kennewell davekennewell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 09:24:26 PDT 2019

Hi Edgar,

Yes, Francesco's advice to create your own app is what I would do. Once you
have that app, to add logic to the geonode.maps model, there are two
options (probably lots more) that I would consider.

If you want to add custom fields to the Maps model, you can extend the
model in your app with something like (pseudocode, not tested!):

from geonode.maps import Map
class MapExtention(models.model):
    map = models.OneToOneField(Map, on_delete=models.CASCADE)
    my_new_map_field = CharField(max_length=100)

Then access these fields through map.mapextention.my_new_map_field

Or if you want to execute functions upon Map model changes you can use
django's signals framework to listen for changes in the core Map model
file. https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/topics/signals/

Both these solutions should avoid the need to modify core geonode, but give
your maps some additional functions.

Hope that helps & good luck :)

Dave