[Geoprisma-dev] Time frame/estimate to implement these features

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Tue Mar 9 11:29:59 EST 2010

Hi All,

I guess we've all been rather busy with our day to day lives to the
point of not doing much in terms of thinking about a new round of
features for GeoPrisma, so please allow me to begin a new one, with the
features people come to me and ask for ;-).  What I'd like at this point
is a rough estimate of the time it would take -- and potential issues --
related to the development of the following points.

1) Feature and WMS filtering (http://trac.osgeo.org/geoprisma/ticket/38)

One recurrent wish is for integrators to be able to easily filter what
is presented to users looking at the map as a function of some role.
That is, both users can view the same layer, but only features in a
specific location and/or filtered by some attribute.  For GeoPrisma,
this essentially means two things :

- Make the shortcut and MapFishRecenter tools (and any future GeoPrisma
widget that will provide a dropdownlist of choices) be aware of
filtering so that choices are dynamically filtered by user role

- Provide adaptive map extents (restricted or not) and filter WMS results

For the first point, I think we can use FeatureServer's filtering
capabilities at least on text fields (|?queryable=...).  |capabilities.
I've seen issues with numeric filtering (like <= and >= working
separately, but not together) but overall I think FS can serve us well
to filter dropdown lists.  My guesstimate to implement the required
functionality in GP (e.g. url parameter passing) is 2-3 days.  If we
really need numeric filtering, then maybe setting up a new MapFishServer
service would be an option.

For the second point, I'd like to have a guesstimate from you list
readers.  The adaptive map extent problem can be solved by a workspace I
believe.  To filter the WMS request, I don't know.  I gather the WMS
spec does not allow for passing in parameter filtering in the request,
but MapServer supports FILTER/FILTERITEM, so I don't know what that
means for GeoPrisma.  Comments welcome.

|2) QueryOnClick with HTML content
(http://trac.osgeo.org/geoprisma/ticket/10)

See description of the requirements in Trac.  Time to implement =  ?

Let's start with that for now.  So what are you thoughts/time estimates
for those ?

Cheers,

Yves