[geos-devel] Current Status

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Apr 27 04:07:23 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:09:20PM -0400, Carl Anderson wrote:
> On 04/26/2004 12:20:42 PM, strk wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:11:04AM -0700, Martin Davis wrote:
> > > no need to pass it to the toGeometry method.  Really, the
> > toGeometry
> > > method is only there to support converting Envelopes to a Geometry
> > -
> > > it's not intended for outside use.  Probably should be
> > package-private
> > > in JTS.
> > >
> > > Make sense?
> >
> > Sure, so the bug is in the comment alone :)
> > If that function is not part of the API, what code was trying to use
> > it Carl ?
> >
> > --strk;
>
> in PostGIS-0.8.1
> postgis_geos_wrapper.cpp:
>     g = geomFactory->toGeometry(envelope,geomFactory-
> >getPrecisionModel(), SRID);
>
> matches a function in GEOS-1.0 but does not match anything in GEOS-CVS

That makes sense too. I've changed that function to create the
resulting geometry from a coordinate list instead (the envelope
was initializated just for that purpose, it's the converter func).

Note that the API still have some changes, as I try enforcing
const correctness in the code, so you don't have binary
compatibility (you'll have to recompile client code).

If people here thinks this is too hard to accept I'll have
to revert all 'const' specifications back to 1.0 status, which
was neither complete nor correct in that.

Note that the GEOS API cannot be the same of JTS one, as it
needs to include specifications about who has to care about
the management of the passed objects.

Unfortunately we cannot tell the GEOS API itself to be stable
(see TODO), even for version 1.0. The file doc/example.cpp,
as stated in the initial comments, was an attempt at discussing
this in front of a real world example.

--strk;