[geos-devel] Binary Predicate Bug - Even Worse!

Todd Jellett todd.jellett at caris.com
Thu Jul 26 14:42:24 EDT 2007

Hi Chris,

By "true predicate" I am just referring to the set of five mutually
exclusive, complete predicates that the SFS is based on and yes, there
is probably a better term that 'true'. Original?
Contains and Intersects are explicitly defined as "for user convenience
predicates" on page 2-19 of the SFS but Equals is just listed as a
method. Is changing Equals to be based on the DE-9IM and promoting it to
the same standing as the true/basic/core predicates part of the SFS, or
is this an extension to the SFS? Will it be adopted? Equals is not built
on true/basic/core predicates the way Contains/Intersects is.

By "violating the mutual exclusivity of the predicates" I am just saying
that Contains and Equals are not members of the set of mutually
exclusive, complete predicates (so therefore, there is no problem with
mutual exclusivity) and I previously thought they were. In my original
question, I excluded Intersects but included Equals and Contains in the
group that I thought were mutually exclusive.

Todd