[geos-devel] Buffer op - end cap styles

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Tue Jun 12 17:47:14 EDT 2007

Ben,

This is a few months old now, but I'm just rejoing this list and am
going thru some old posts...

The reason you're not noticing any difference from specifying a round
endcap style is that this is the default.

As for modifying the buffer algorithm to produce different width
buffers, yep, this is possible, with a bit of work. We'd be interested
in talking if you have funding for this...  8^)

What is your use case for this?  Did you just want a set of linestrings
with each one buffered by a different, but constant amount?  (E.g.
equivalent to buffering each individually and then unioning them)  Or
did you want to buffer a linestring with a varying buffer width along
the linestring?  This latter is the more interesting & challenging
case.  If that, could you comment on what you'd expect to pass in as
arguments to such a routine?  (I.e. how would you want to specify the
varying buffer width?)

--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect