[geos-devel] Odd problem on Vista

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Wed Jan 16 17:14:06 EST 2008

I'm using Python's ctypes and libffi to access functions in GEOS.
GEOSGeomToWKT and GEOSGeomToWKB_buf each allocate memory that must be
freed by the caller. This has been no problem for me on Linux or Windows
2000, I simply free the memory with libc.free or msvcrt.free. There
seems to be an authorization problem on Vista with the result that
msvcrt.free cannot access the memory allocated by geos.dll. This is the
DLL I got from Artem the other day. I'm thinking that the solution is
for GEOS to export its own free function ala msFree in MapServer, yes?

Sean