[geos-devel] 3.2.0 Final

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Dec 11 15:55:54 EST 2009

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> strk wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:49:54AM +0100, Barend Gehrels wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> documentation main page: "If you prefer troubles you can use the C++
>>> interface. " (in geom.h).
>> It's still troubles ! how would you reword it ?
>> Leaks, API/ABI instabilities...
>
> Leaks? So, C++ API causes memory leaks out of the box?
>
> It's just silly to warns users "please don't use our software
> because it hasn't been fixed in concrete yet, the dev team is alive
> and keeps working on it"
>
> Let's just send users to JTS, so they can avoid more potential
> troubles than just those mentioned.

strk / Mateusz,

I would suggest "If you prefer troubles you can use the C++ interface"
to "Applications requiring API/ABI stability are encouraged to use the
C interface instead of the C++ interface."

I agree with Mateusz that the current text is unhelpful, and unnecessarily
unprofessional even though I'm a strong proponent of using the C API in
many situations.

I am not aware of memory leaks related to the C++ API, and if there are some
there is no reason not to fix them.

Best regards,