[geos-devel] [#317] Build configuration for CMake build system

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jan 18 17:39:07 EST 2010

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Mats,
>
> I'm quite interested in CMake, thanks for taking the time to put one
> in for GEOS. The main thing stopping me from pursuing CMake has been
> lack of time to start from scratch and learn, and now you've provided
>  me a template to work from. I think we should drop autotools once we
>  can get a good build on all our platforms with CMake.

Paul,

I'm glad you're interested in CMake. I'm not a lonely knight then :-)

I admit that it may be difficult to start crafting new configuration
from scratch. It's easy to issue "touch CMakeLists.txt" for main file
but then it's not clear what's next.

I've been mastering CMake myself for a while and every new
configuration I make looks much better than previous.
Here is what I've done so far: GeoTIFF [1] and libLAS [2].

It's not a secret that recent discussion about native build of PostGIS
using Visual C++ made me thinking of trying to configure PostGIS for
CMake as well. Let's see if folks are happy with the one for GEOS.

BTW, I just tested CMake with NMAKE makefiles on Windows.
It works, but I use x64 system and got some linker 32 vs 64 bit
errors likely related to my environment. Perhaps some flags are need to
be addd, but in general CMake generates correct Makefiles, and outputs
nice colours to console ;-)

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/17
[2] http://liblas.org/ticket/52

Best regards,