[geos-devel] Do we still need/are maintaining AUTHORS - All in favor of #3 please vote say eye

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Aug 8 10:13:44 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 01:07:53PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   AUTHORS is part of the GNU Coding Standards for package distribution,
>   authors.svn is a service thing.
>
> I'm not clear on authors.svn, but in general when migrating from a
> centralized VCS (e.g., CVS or svn) to a distributed VCS (e.g., git, hg,
> etc.) one needs an authors file that defines a mapping from the
> usernames in the centralized VCS to the full name and email address as
> used by the DVCS.  Perhaps authors.svn is intended for that, or to help
> those using git-svn bridges.

Actually I've an authors.git for that.
It has a different format (equal sign instead of colon).

Maybe authors.svn was for the CVS to SVN migration, it first
appeared in the repository on 2009:

  commit bda0fa996018e59fceb763bcc4f89cbaf8481042
  Author: Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net>
  Date:   Tue Aug 11 16:38:32 2009 +0000

      Add ChangeLog.svn rule, and auxiliary authors file

Now that I think about it, it's likely related to the generation
of ChangeLog from SVN logs. The Makefile confirms it
(ChangeLog.svn rule).