[geos-devel] Breeding .editorconfig is bad

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Apr 7 04:58:47 PDT 2017

On 7 April 2017 at 13:35, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 01:04:00PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> Often, single file contains bits in styles and such scoped .editorconfig
>> will lead to commits mixing actual (logic/behaviour) code change
>> with code formatting changes. Unacceptable!
>
> I agree it is unacceptable to mix logic and style changes in
> the same commit.
>
> Also and I think we should minimize style changes as much as possible,
> which was the rationale for my adding per-directory .editorconfig.

Mind you, I did not apply any of the style changes.
The .editorconfig-driven editor did.

>> See the problem in action here:
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/geos/pull/81/files
>
> Could you briefly explain the problem we're seeing there ?
> Is it the removal of trailing blank spaces ?

eg. EOL code, insert new line.

> The way I've been addressing those cases has been first committing
> removal of trailing blank spaces and then committing a separate
> funtional change.

Are you being serious?
I rename a variable, editor reformats 100-s of LOCs on save, then you ask to
stash/revert-fiddle with my change, commit the style, then re-apply my change
and make separate commit?

First, tell me it's a joke.
Second, despite your objection to the RFC4, you do agree to apply big reformats.

>> My call, again, is to stop it and get rid of any spaces/indentation settings
>> in .editorconfig for as long as we don't get the code reformatted into
>> desired style.
>> Alternatively, please, make your editors ignore .editorconfig completely
>> and manually align with coding style as presented in actual file being edited.
>> That's what I'm going to do.
>
> If the problem is the one I described above there's no "pre-existing
> coding style" to be preserved. It's just that someone added too many
> blanks at the end of lines.

No, it's just there was freedom of styles from day one.
You also fiddled with 4 spaces, 2 spaces, then switched to tabs.
The current style is mixture.

> Note that `git diff --check` can do the trailing blanks check for you
> before it's committed.
>
> Please do not ignore .editorconfig as it's aimed to *reducing* the
> proliferation of code styles.

You do not listen. The code styles has been proliferating for decade+,
it is there.

I understand you refuse to use clang-format, but I can't understand why
you agree on .editorconfig to sneak style reformats.
Let's leave things as they are, do nothing.

> I've run a check under src/ and include/
> some days ago and found that only a single file is not using tabs
> (namely the CLocalizer class files introduced by Sean Gillies in 2008)

There is much, much more, eg.
https://github.com/OSGeo/geos/commit/6449265b48637fc94b8d91a034162fb01928d880

Best regards,