[geos-devel] Breeding .editorconfig is bad

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Apr 7 08:48:58 PDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 01:58:47PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Mind you, I did not apply any of the style changes.
> The .editorconfig-driven editor did.

Yes I know. It's annoying for me too, see separate thread
for a proposed solution.

> Second, despite your objection to the RFC4, you do agree to apply big reformats.

My objections were regarding possibility to *maintain* the style.
In the separate thread you see the "big" reformat is actually only
touching 2% of the lines.

> Let's leave things as they are, do nothing.

This is another possibility, yes. We could drop the
removal of trailing spaces. But I've ready the 2% reformat
and the hook on "make check" to ensure they are not re-introduced.

> > some days ago and found that only a single file is not using tabs
> > (namely the CLocalizer class files introduced by Sean Gillies in 2008)
>
> There is much, much more, eg.
> https://github.com/OSGeo/geos/commit/6449265b48637fc94b8d91a034162fb01928d880

Uhm, then I guess I need better tools to detect.
Tabs are not being a problem on editorconfig-aware editors, right ?