[geos-devel] MOTION to accept this patch [geos] Emit a warning at compile time about C++ API being unstable (#14) - Summarize of votes

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Oct 4 23:35:30 PDT 2017

Just to confirm intention and the fact I misquoted Hobu as strk pointed out.

The MOTION for geos 3.7.0 is to put a warning in theG eometry.h header file that will show whenever a user compiles a project source against the GEOS C++ API.
With the intention of come next major/minor release after 3.7 turning that Warning into an error unless said user defines the

WE_ACKNOWLEDGE_THAT_THE_GEOS_CPLUSPLUS_API_IS_UNSTABLE    in there Geometry.h  header file

This will allow packagers to still distribute the headers and C++ libs if they want, but users will have to be smart enough to edit the header file to compile projects that use the GEOS C++ API.

Votes as I understand -- Dale and Hobu will need to reaffirm (since this is a softer stop gap compromise)

Strk  -  +1
Hobu -0  (please confirm Hobu to make Strk happy that I'm not putting words into your mouth :)  )
Dale - +1  (though Dale did not officially vote on this Motion he voted for the more aggressive RFC6 - https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/RFC6   (which we will revisit after GEOS 3.7.0 release )
Regina +1
Paul -- Did not vote (Presumably because he doesn't want to make any enemies on either side -- he's a king trapped by pawns and a queen)
Martin Davis - sorry forgot about you Vote if you have an opinion

Thanks,
Regina