[geos-devel] MOTION to accept this patch [geos] Emit a warning at compile time about C++ API being unstable (#14) - Summarize of votes

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Oct 5 01:44:34 PDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 02:35:30AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> The MOTION for geos 3.7.0 is to put a warning in the Geometry.h header
> file that will show whenever a user compiles a project source against
> the GEOS C++ API.
> With the intention of come next major/minor release after 3.7 turning that Warning into an error unless said user defines the
>
> WE_ACKNOWLEDGE_THAT_THE_GEOS_CPLUSPLUS_API_IS_UNSTABLE    in there Geometry.h  header file
>
> This will allow packagers to still distribute the headers and C++ libs if they want, but users will have to be smart enough to edit the header file to compile projects that use the GEOS C++ API.

Just a correction: it doesn't take changing the header, all you have
to do is make sure to define that macro before including the C++ header
(can be done via commandline, CXXFLAGS or whatever)

And that hushing macro is already working in the current PR
(with warning only behavior). So, we're voting on:

Do you agree that you get a warning unless you acknowledge instability
of the API via defining a macro before including GEOS C++ header ?

-strk;