[Graphics] Geosilk icons

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 17:40:58 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> That's good idea Jody to create wiki. There are so many valuable
> resources! Your Rolando 'other resources' list can be good start point.

Rolando and myself are already supposed to be collaborating (I was
very surprised to see new Point, Line and Polygon graphics in his new
symbol set as they do not scale well when used dynamically to
communicate style - but that can be our next discussion on the
graphics list!).

It is not clear to me if the uDig icon set and geosilk will be other
resources; or part of what the graphics list mandated? I did sign up
to this list to collaborate ....

> I'm not very experienced in wiki page creation, so your help is welcome.
> I have created just starting point at
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Graphics

Thanks for starting out.

> In which direction in your opinion wiki should go:
> 1. just link to resources, or

We need a link; or better yet a comparison; and then we need a section
on core abstractions... As you can see GeSilk and uDig use the same
core abstractions for web map server (a server with a map). Each has
adjusted the core abstraction to match their icons sets representation
of server.

> 2. put tables with sample (from different themes/projects) graphics
> (like
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_map_symbol_set#Symbol_Availability and
> http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/v.0.1/)
>
> Second option can be difficult to handle, but just showing few sample
> graphics can be interesting.

Showing  a few sample graphics would really help communicate with the
projects are about.

> More important for me is to point out common files naming rules with
> detailed description. This way it will be easy to interchange/exchange
> symbols and icons between projects.

I have quite strict file name guidelines I need to follow for the
eclipse environment.
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Icons
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Imagery