[Graphics] OSGeo Graphics and a common naming convention

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 9 10:16:54 EST 2009

Hi,

At gvSIG we've been talking for a while about adopting more
standardized way to deal with our graphics (icons). We saw the
Robert's excellent work and start talking with him about how to
integrate his work on gvSIG. Probably the fact to start talking with
several projects was the point to start this list, witch is great
because OSGeo is the perfect place to share experience between
projects.

Well, one of the main "topics" of our aims is to follow the Tango[1]
naming conventions. Following a more standard naming convention has
many advantages like the possibility to produce more than one icon set
to the software or more interesting, sharing the icon sets between
projects.

So, in my opinion, one of the first things for gvSIG (and maybe this
list) would be to define a common naming convention, following the
tango guidelines (like many other projects are doing: i.e. GIMP and
OpenOffice) and offer them to the freedesktop project. I want to
remark that at Tango, besides the base library[2] there's also a
library for graphic software[3]. Robert has defined their icons on
that way and it's a perfect starting point to work, isn't it?

On the other hand, Tango stablishes a design guidelines and colour
palette, that more or less have been followed by Robert. It's really
important for us to use an icon set with a clear and documented design
guideline in order to be able to point to it on any new development,
to maintain an unified GUI.

Cheers

[1] http://tango.freedesktop.org
[2] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library