[Graphics] OSGeo Graphics and a common naming convention

Rolando Peñate rpenate at opengeo.org
Thu Nov 12 12:38:18 EST 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:

> <snip />
>
> Well, one of the main "topics" of our aims is to follow the Tango[1]
> naming conventions. Following a more standard naming convention has
> many advantages like the possibility to produce more than one icon set
> to the software or more interesting, sharing the icon sets between
> projects.
>
> So, in my opinion, one of the first things for gvSIG (and maybe this
> list) would be to define a common naming convention, following the
> tango guidelines (like many other projects are doing: i.e. GIMP and
> OpenOffice) and offer them to the freedesktop project. I want to
> remark that at Tango, besides the base library[2] there's also a
> library for graphic software[3]. Robert has defined their icons on
> that way and it's a perfect starting point to work, isn't it?
>
> <snip />
>
> [1] http://tango.freedesktop.org
> [2] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library
> [3] http://tango.freedesktop.org/ArtLibreSet
>
> --
> Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
> Ingeniero en Geodesia y Cartografía
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jorge_Sanz

Common file naming conventions came up on the "GeoSilk icons" thread
as well. Although I am not sure we reached consensus, the general
sentiment seems to be that we all have different needs around naming.
Jody needs to follow specific conventions for Eclipse and, because
GeoSilk contains over a thousand icons from Silk, it's important for
us to follow Silk naming rules to make it possible to find things.

I suspect developers/designers will pick the set that best suits their
needs and work around it. As Jody pointed out though, anyone can use
svn "externals" to link to a file and give it a different name, so
there is a technical solution for this problem.

--
Rolando Peñate
Design Lead