[Graphics] Re: new gis theme and common repository

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Mon Nov 30 03:28:51 EST 2009

Hi Anita,

Thank you for this e-mail. You pointed important issues.

Anita Graser pisze:
> Hi all,
>
> Great that we have a working SVN now. How will we continue from this point?

In fact it's up to us. Tango approach is for me good example.
First discussion (mailing list, chat, whatever) - then work. Otherwise
we loose time and wishes correcting our/others work.
So we do not focus on duplicating work (many themes), but on covering
different target users of graphics (16x16px, 32x32px, svg, etc).
But to do that, we must first agree on basic metaphores. Next step can
be discussion on their details.
Good example can be discussion on OGC services
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/graphics/2009-November/000028.html
This for sure takes longer, but we do it once.
Once ... per version :)

An alternative can be collection of different themes in one place, but
in my opinion this will be impossible to manage in a while. Link to
source themes in graphics wiki is enough. Just my opinion.

> Will we upload only the .SVG files there ore also .PNGs?

I would collect source svg and renders in different sizes. As you know
it is impossible to render from one svg icons in 16x16px and 64x64px and
not all graphic users (developers) want to play with svg. We need to
define target png sizes and name svg layers accordingly.
So if our svg layer is for 16x16 and 32x32 we call it 16-32.
This way it will be easy to use such svg later for automatic (batch?)
processing.
Question is HOW to organise folders structure and file names.
Sub-folders for every size or for example
core-name.svg
core-name_16.png
core-name_32.png...
Developers comments are welcome.

Do we agree on
> changing the color palette to Tango?

Yes.

Is the wiki page the main reference
> for which icons exist and which are planned?

Wiki as reference for existing icons - yes. In my understanding wiki is
good place for describing meaning and use scope of icons. And pictures
from trunk. For planned (or to change) ones better place is trac system.
I have no experience in this field, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Or is there some other
> place? Will we discuss all icons on the mailing list or should we change
> to the wiki discussion page, where we can easily link pictures to our
> comments?
>
> Best wishes,
> Anita

I would prefer mailing list for discussion at the moment, but if there
are arguments for wiki discussion, we can do it other way.

Robert