[Graphics] map icons SVN structure change

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 31 20:06:13 EDT 2011

On 03/31/2011 04:40 PM, Robert Szczepanek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are many good icons projects for maps, like for example [1] or
> [2]. They use however different (sub)folders structure. If we put all
> icons from different sets in one predefined folder's structure, it will
> be hard to select consistent set.
> What about themes structure? In this case each theme can have different
> folders structure.
> Simple linking to original svn's of many authors can make the work. I
> don't know how to do it technically yet, but it is possible. I hope.
>
> Common folders structure is removed and I made theme folder as main
> container. If you find this solution worse, just let me know.
>
> regards,
> Robert
>
> [1]
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/share/map-icons/index_all.en.html
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/google-maps-icons/wiki/IconDescriptions

I was contemplating this a little today and still plan to work on this
heavily but not  until Mid June.

The idea I had today was to do a mix. At the top level there would
Themes and Sets. Sets would be whole groups of things submitted
together. Themes would be our current setup where things that are not
part of sets, 1 off icons could be filed under their appropriate domain.

In the end, it won't be much of a problem once I get to implementing my
keyword tagging scheme and search tool this summer as both set names,
themes, and specific name tags will all be in the svg tags and cataloged
in a search tool along with where in the folder structure the file resides.

Maybe we need to pick different names though since Theme seems to have
too many definitions.

Thanks,
Alex