[GRASS-ABM] Which language to ABM with GRASS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Feb 11 11:48:17 EST 2009

Hi Chris,

It was partly due to my research projects that this list got started.
But it's been very low traffic so far. I'm hoping to encourage more
people to think about and work to create better links between ABM and
GIS.

My team is creating a modeling laboratory for agropastoral landuse and
landscape dynamics, linking DEVS-based ABM (it is in Java) and GRASS.
We have prototype version running now and hope to have a more finished
product by June. Our focus is on the Mediterranean, but our laboratory
can be adapted for other areas. You can take a look at our web site at
<http://medland.asu.edu>.

The GRASS side of the modeling laboratory is already posted in the
GRASS Addons SVN under Landyn. We just uploaded a new version that
uses the new r.watershed module as well as r.terraflow. This version
is scripted in BASH, but we are nearing completion of a new version in
Python. I've copied some of the grad students working on this project.

Bill Griffin, one of my colleagues here in the Center for Social
Dynamics and Complexity <http://csdc.asu.edu>, writes ABMs in Python.
He's not an archaeologist, but I don't hold that against him ;-). If
you are interested, I can put you in touch.

Archaeologist Mark Altaweel, a member of the RePast dev team, is
working on a GRASS plugin for RePast. I've copied him here in case
you'd like to get in touch.

I've also been in touch with the developer of the NetLogo GIS
extension about the possibility of links with GRASS. He thought they
might be quite doable. Unfortunately, he finished his PhD and was
moving on to another university.

So there is a lot of potential for ABM-GRASS integration, but the
field remains wide open. Welcome.

Michael Barton
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity