[GRASS5] Re: license issues

Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu
Wed Dec 15 10:51:07 EST 1999

Greetings all....

> /* r.in.tiff - Converts from a Tagged Image File Format image to a Grass Raster.
>  *
>  * tif2ras.c - Converts from a Tagged Image File Format image to a Sun Raster.
>  * Portions Copyright (c) 1990 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>  *
>  * Author: Patrick J. Naughton
>  * naughton at wind.sun.com
>  *
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
>  * documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
>  * provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
>  * both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
>  * supporting documentation.
>  *
>  *   This program takes a MicroSoft/Aldus "Tagged Image File Format" image or
>  * "TIFF" file as input and writes a GRASS cell file.
>  */
>
> -> Is it o.k.?

This should not be a problem.  We leave the current copyright statement.  GPL
does not supercede anyone elses copyright.  So as long as we point this out,
there is no problem.

> > grass5.0beta 58: find . -exec grep 'Cambridge University Press' /dev/null {} \;

Yes, there should be no problem since we're not superceeding their copyright.
Maybe a disclaimer in the main copyright at the end should state this.  Something
like:

"Individual copyrights upheld by original authors and not superceded by the
GRASS GPL Copyright.  Users must abide by applicable copyrights for individual
programs where noted."

I am in contact with legal counsel on this (the Law School here actually).  I don;t
forsee any problems since prescedent has already been set.

Comments are welcome.

Bruce