[GRASS5] make install

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jun 20 04:35:12 EDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 10:50:16AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> The checkout finished okay.
>
> I'm surprised "make" doesn't actually do the compilation.
> Why is that?
Hi James,

.. from the INSTALL file:
"The 'make' command at time only generates a few internal files."

Reason is that GRASS needs *full* autoconf - some more work.

> The "make install" took 56 minutes on my machine.  At the end it
> suggested a few other things to be done.  Shouldn't it do it all
> for me?
In my opinion it is better like this as the modules not compiled
by the script are highly dependent on MESA, tcl/tk and other stuff.
If we would include it, many others (who don't have installed MESA etc.)
would complain: why does it not compile?

>  It said;
>
> * Finally run 'gmakelinks5' to finish the installation process.
>
> But there is no gmakelinks5 present; "find . -name gmakelinks5"
> gives me nothing.  But it is present in /usr/local/bin ... ah.
So /usr/local/bin is not in your path. Call it:
/usr/local/bin/gmakelinks5

> On activating it I get a lot of "Creating link" output.  But I
> got that from the "make install" anyway.
O.k., there might be a bit of inconsistency. But gmakelinks5 does
not break anything. So it does not matter to run it twice.
You will have to run it always after manually compiling a new module
for GRASS.

We would be glad to find someone taking care for a full "autoconf"
and "make" working as expected. You are welcome to help!

Best wishes

 Markus