[GRASS5] Re: bug in configure routine

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Nov 22 17:46:22 EST 2000

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 02:51:39PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> "Eric G . Miller" wrote:
> > o Auto test/search and *confirm* TIFF library support (after
> >   --with-tiff, is processed but before AC_SUBST()).
> > o Auto test/search and *confirm* TCL/TK (like tiff stuff)
> > o Need all of Mesa/OpenGL.
> > o Need all of PostgreSQL.
> > o Need ODBC/iODBC.
> > o Need DLLLIB (empty except for CygWin ?)
> > o Others ???
>
> How about
>
> o XDRLIB empty for SGI machines

SGI doesn't have XDRLIB? It's required for encoding rasters.  Anyway, if
no special linking is needed for this, then $(XDRLIB) should evaluate to
an empty string.  Currently I have it set for the three -lsun, -lnsl,
and -lrpclib (if they exist).  Otherwise it now should come up empty.

> o Test for jpeg library

Okay, it's on TODO list.

> o Test for png library

DITTO.

> Also, is there a way to get configure to search in directories unique to
> systems? For example on SGI the png and jpeg libraries are not installed
> by default but can be easily installed under a directory called
> /usr/freeware from their website. Is there a way to tell configure to
> search /usr/freeware if the machine is an SGI? Or do we need to provide
> an option to indicate which directory to search?

The "common" search directories can be looked for.  There's also the
--with-includes and --with-libs directives.  I wasn't aware of this
/usr/freeware separation with SGI.

> Thanks alot for taking up the configure mess. I'm sure all of us
> "configure brain dead" people greatly appreciate it. I know I do.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm not "configure brain dead" as well.  Just
learning on the "job".  If any experienced "configure" people want to
stand up, the help would be appreciated ;)

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>