[GRASS5] Environment variable listings...

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Aug 10 11:37:52 EDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:39:49PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Eric G. Miller wrote:
>
> > Do you think people would find it useful if g.gisenv could list all of
> > the known environment variables with a bit of information about them?
> >
> > I've hacked my copy of g.gisenv to do this via an "-l" flag.  Output is
> > like:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Seems it's never easy enough to figure out what environment variables
> > are available for controlling behaviors...  Developer's can easily add
> > to the struct array if there's a module that recognizes a certain
> > variable and it's not yet "registered".
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> Adding this to g.gisenv might further confuse users regarding the
> distinction between GRASS variables ($GISRC) and environment variables
> (getenv()). It might be better to have a separate program.

These are GRASS variables (GISRC).  That's what g.gisenv manipulates.
Normal environment variables are available with "env" command.  The
proposal would only have those GRASS variables that are settable (and
meaningful) in GISRC (~/.grassrc5).  "g.gisenv" manipulates that file
directly with the "set=" argument.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>