[GRASS5] Database linking question

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Jan 2 11:29:46 EST 2001

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 12:36:26PM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to link some library/module routines to either gdbm
> (preferred) or Berkeley DB. Can anyone comment if there are any problems
> with that? eg. would it cause problems on some platforms?

I think gdbm is generally not maintained and Berkeley DB is often used
instead (Sleepycat's software).

However, some considerations...

1) It's my understanding that Berkeley DB and gdbm write data in a
native platform specific mode (e.g. the files aren't portable).

2) Not much in the way of a type system.

3) Random access of large files isn't real efficient (though certainly
better than GRASS's ASCII files).

4) No built in methods for things like joins.

5) Different versions of Berkeley DB are binary incompatible.

Admittedly, I have little experience with these files...

I've been looking around for some other options, but what I've found
that looks good is always coded in C++.  A bit of a challenge to tie
into GRASS's C code.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>