[GRASS5] r.average, r.statistics

Aleksey Naumov naumov at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sat Mar 2 19:11:22 EST 2002

Dear GRASS developers,

I have two maps: 'landuse' (CELL) and 'slope' (FCELL), and I need to average
'slope' for every category in 'landuse'. Seems like r.average would do it, so
I do:

GRASS:~ > r.average base=landuse cover=slope output=landuse.slope

But:

1) r.average help says:

"The output map is actually a reclass of the base map (see r.reclass), and
will have exactly the same category values as the base map. The averaged
values computed by r.average are stored in the output map's category labels
file."

But this is not what I see from r.info, r.report, r.cats! For example:

GRASS:~ > r.report landuse.slope
|                            Category Information                            |
|                  #|description                                             |
|       0.2-0.266667|from  to                                                |
|  0.466667-0.533333|from  to                                                |
|       0.533333-0.6|from  to                                                |
|       0.6-0.666667|from  to                                                |
|  0.666667-0.733333|from  to                                                |

This looks totally different from what help promices:
   - averaged values were put in category values, not labels
   - category labels are meaningless