[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 25 06:54:26 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 08:12:21AM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:11:42AM -0700, Roger Miller wrote:

> I agree 100% that 5.0 must be stable, that's why it is not yet published.
>
> My intention is was tell you that we either need more automatisation in web
> server management and building binary releases and/or more people to
> contribute. Especially when we start to regularly (!) generate new release
> branches. All this cannot be done by 1-2 people.

The branching itself is just a CVS command.
We need people to watch the code and _educate_ other people to
make contribution in a way that they can easily be monitored and
integrated.

> We are not (yet) the Linux Kernel Team, so we have to be careful with
> our resources, not to waste time only on administration instead of
> developing the software.

Note that only _one_ person -not even full time manages- to quality
control all patches for the development version.
Another person does that for te stable version.

So it _can_ be done with just 1-2 persons.
Believe me, you will love the branches once you trust them a little
bit more and your ability to turn people down if they constribute in
a way that is creating too much work itself.
They quickly will start to contribute in better ways.