[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Mar 25 07:13:31 EST 2002

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > We are not (yet) the Linux Kernel Team, so we have to be careful with
> > our resources, not to waste time only on administration instead of
> > developing the software.
>
> Note that only _one_ person -not even full time manages- to quality
> control all patches for the development version.
> Another person does that for te stable version.

Yes, but as Markus said, "We are not (yet) the Linux Kernel Team".

The Linux kernel has skilled developers queueing up to be treated as
insignificant minions (OK, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but
not entirely).

Contributions to Linux are rejected by default. Once a developer has
dealt with every minor detail, and submitted the patch half a dozen
times, the maintainer might just consider the possibility of including
it.

If we were that fussy, you probably wouldn't even need a complete hand
to count the number of developers remaining. OTOH, that doesn't mean
that a maintainer cannot ever say "no".

GRASS is big; other free software projects of a similar size tend to
have many more developers, and many more users (i.e. beta testers).
Also, they often receive significant contributions (cash, hardware,
paid developers) from large corporations.