[GRASS5] A naive opinion on how grass *should* work

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri May 3 15:12:53 EDT 2002

On May 3, Glynn Clements wrote:
 > Carl Worth wrote:
 > >  > Yes; the default region is explicitly chosen by the user. Same for the
 > >  > current region. The only time that the current region is changed is if
 > >  > the user decides to change it.
 > >
 > > Except when the suer is just panning/zooming around a map and the
 > > region is being adjusted all the time. ;-)
 >
 > Running d.zoom constitutes a decision to change the region. Changing
 > the region is what d.zoom does; it just does it visually rather than
 > through literal coordinates.

I understand that this is precisely what is currently done. Insofar as
it behaves as documented, it is not a bug in that respect.

But, as I have mentioned before. This behavior makes it exceedingly
painful for a user to switch back and forth between two different
monitors viewing different areas of the map. I think things should be
changed so that each monitor keeps track of its own region independent
of "the region" in GRASS.

To phrase things in terms that must be considered a non-feature if not
a glaring bug, think about this sequence:

	d.mon start=x0
	g.region everything
	d.rast map

	d.mon start=x1
	d.rast map
	d.zoom # zoom in a bit interactively
	d.vect overlay

	d.mon select=x0
	d.vect overlay

Clearly, at this point, the overlay data will not be properly
displayed on monitor x0. I can't see any reason to justify this
behavior.

-Carl

--
Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                 cworth at east.isi.edu
3811 N. Fairfax Dr. #200, Arlington VA 22203		  703-812-3725